Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Irish Fantasy Draft: Rounds 21-24

After a weekend hiatus the draft started back up again. We're winding down and filling out the 28-man roster. Here's the breakdown and analysis of rounds 21-24.

21.01 (UHND) - Mark LeVoir, OT

LeVoir was a Parade All American and 1st Team USA Today All American out of his school and then went on to start 35 games over a 5 year career. LeVoir will play left tackle forming me a nice pair of bookend tackles with Mike Doughty giving this team 7 years of starting experience at the tackle position." - Frank

21.02 (Domer Law) - Pete Bercich, LB

21.03 (Her Loyal Sons) - Hunter Smith, P


"It's a game of field position, kids." - domer_mq

21.04 (WeNeverGraduate) - Devon McDonald, OLB

"McDonald was a big, athletic outside backer that was capable of putting his hand on the ground and playing defensive end when the situation called for it. He'll start at outside linebacker and then replace Brian Hamilton at end in Nickel situations to bring some extra heat." - Mattare

21.05 (Subway Domer) - Randy Kinder, RB

"Complete stud, and adds more explosiveness to this already volatile team." - Subway Domer

21.06 (Irish Illustrated) - Dan Stevenson, G

"Another guard/tackle prospect for the offensive line, Stevenson finishes off my starting lineup up front. He gets extra points in my book because I did a feature story on him while he was in high school and before I was covering Notre Dame football. Solid guy, good attitude." - Pete

22.01 (Irish Illustrated) - Ryan Grant, RB

"I’m getting a solid back-up running back in Grant, who went over 1,000 yards as a sophomore before splitting time with Julius Jones the next season. Obviously, Grant has plenty of raw talent considering how long he’s stuck in the NFL with the Green Bay Packers." - Pete

22.02 (Subway Domer) - Kurt Vollers, OT

"Vollers was a pretty good tackle, and he was arrested for trafficking a whole lot of pot. I like the "danger" level he brings to my team." - Subway Domer

22.03 (WeNeverGraduate) - Tim Ryan, G

"Ryan started at guard on the '88 national championship team as a sophomore and held down the position the next two years. He rounds out my offensive line, a bruising and dominant run blocking unit. We're going to be even more unstoppable than Eli Manning and his Citizen Eco-Drive watches." - Mattare

22.04 (Her Loyal Sons) - Chris Stewart, G

"Really just sort of throwing darts at the big board at this point, but I think over the years Stewart showed a lot of flashes of a ton of potential, and in fact this last season he showed he was capable of taking a big step up in productivity. Wont shock me in the least if he hangs onto a pro job for several years." - domer_mq

22.05 (Domer Law) - Deveron Harper, CB

22.06 (UHND) - Tyler Eifert, TE


"This team needs a tight end and Eifert emerged as the next great tight end for Notre Dame down the stretch. Even without starting a full season, Eifert's numbers already compare favorably to some of the other tight ends who passed through Notre Dame in the 90's." - Frank

23.01 (UHND) - Tony Fisher, RB

"Jerome Bettis is going to play a lot of half back on this team, but adding Fisher creates a nice backfield tandem. Fisher gets overlooked because he followed Autry Denson and shared time with Julius Jones, but Fisher was more than a solid back." - Frank

23.02 (Domer Law) - Rashon Powers-Neal, FB

23.03 (Her Loyal Sons) - Ian Williams, DT


"It seems like just yesterday we were focusing in on Ian Williams' freshman year accolades, including being named 1st Team Freshman All American by the Football Writers Association of America in 2007. And now, like that [poofing motion/sound from The Usual Suspects], he's gone. Try to imagine this kid playing under consistent, good coaching for 4 years and try to not shake your head while you do." - domer_mq

23.04 (WeNeverGraduate) - John Covington, SS

"Most Irish fans are familiar with John's little brother Ivory Covington because of his goal line stop against Army in '95. Well guess what? Big brother was bigger, stronger, faster, and more versatile. Over the course of his four years he saw time in the secondary, linebacker, and even defensive end. Pairing him with Deke Cooper in the secondary gives me an extremely athletic pair of safeties with range and serious pop." - Mattare

23.05 (Subway Domer) - Cedric Hilliard, DT

"I was looking for another power DT, and found him in Hilliard. A massive specimen of awesomeness, Cedric is a Subway Domer Disciple fan favorite." - Subway Domer

23.06 (Irish Illustrated) - Willie Clark, CB/S

"Big-time athlete good enough to be an early round pick in the NFL draft. I can play him at cornerback or safety like most of my defensive backs. Not necessarily a big name, but I'll take as many starting defenders from the early 90's as I can get along with Tom Carter, Chris Zorich, etc." - Pete

24.01 (Irish Illustrated) - Jabari Holloway, TE

"All-time nice guy at tight end giving me a menacing duo with Derek Brown. Holloway was criminally under-utilized at Notre Dame, but I won't make that mistake in my two tight end sets. Holloway is a complete tight end who won't be treated like a glorified offensive tackle in my world." - Pete

24.02 (Subway Domer) - Oscar McBride, TE

"First of all, I just wanted to take this moment to profess my dislike of Pete Sampson. Pete, you bastard, you literally picked the next two picks on my board. I am aware of your spies, and they will be dealt with accordingly. McBride was commonly referred to as ND's 3rd offensive tackle during his playing days. While that was mostly true, if the Irish would have thrown his way more often (as it was the case with all of ND's tight ends during the Holtz and Davie eras) Big Oscar would have had much better numbers. He will be a BEAST for me." - Subway Domer

24.03 (WeNeverGraduate) - Pete Chryplewicz, TE

"Tight end fest continues. My bruising running game is mean a lot of two tight ends sets. Chryplewicz is a big body (6'5", 261lbs) that was a solid blocker equipped with soft hands. He won't be a frequent target because he'll be busy pancaking run blitzing linebackers, but every once in awhile when he lulls the defense to sleep he'll make them pay." - Mattare

24.04 (Her Loyal Sons) - Lamont Bryant, DE

"Oh, what could have been...

I played against Lamont in high school. He was both the nicest and most terrifying person I've ever seen up close on a football field. During pre-game stretches, he walked right into our half of the field, got down on all fours, and started barking at us. It sounds dumb when I describe it, but it was effective. I thought he might have turned into one of those Devil Dogs from Ghotsbusters.

Later that night, during one of our dozen or so 3-and-out series, I was to block down on him from my SE position (he was playing MIKE that particular night), and so I did, and he never saw me coming. I hit him, he didn't notice, I became attached to him, he carried me back towards my starting point and tackled the ball carrier. He dislocated my shoulder during the play. After the whistle, he made sure I got attended to and helped me back towards my sideline.

I think he was pretty accustomed to injuring opponents. I could swear he even advised the trainers on how to handle this particular injury. Had YouTube existed back then, everyone in the country would have talked about him like we all talked about Jadeveon Clowney. I'm not kidding. He was like Jadeveon spliced with an angry war god. Hell, they'd have renamed it to "LamontTube."

Unfortunately, a serious car accident before his freshman year banged him up enough to keep him from seeing the field in 1995. And I don't really believe he was ever fully recovered after that. Must've been one hell of an accident." - domer_mq

24.05 (Domer Law) - Malcolm Johnson, WR

"110 catches, 1,737 yards in his career - not bad for a 3rd wide receiver. Yet another prolific target for Brady Quinn in what should be a balanced and extremely productive offense." - Wacko

24.06 (UHND) - Cierre Wood, RB

"I want a little lightning to go along with the thunder I already have in the backfield with Bettis and Fisher and in all honesty, has there been another back not named Julius Jones in the last 10 years to show the kind of speed and big play potential as Wood did last year? In his first season of action, Wood busted off two 30+ yard touchdown runs becoming the first Notre Dame back since Jones to have two 30+ yard TD runs in a season (in fact, no Notre Dame back since Jones has even had one 30+ yard TD)." - Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment